Friday, September 23, 2011

Tall Cans vs. Bottles vs. Pitchers


Beer lovers will especially enjoy this article. I myself am a big fan of beer and would choose it over a lot of other alcoholic beverages. This has drawn me to some cost comparisons that may be of use to fellow beer drinkers interested in saving some cash.

In Ontario all beer retailers are regulated by the province, therefore the only places to get beer for household consumption is either at the LCBO or the Beerstore. Recently I came across a sale for Moosehead tall cans at the LCBO, where a 473 ml can was selling for $1.95. This got me wondering if it was a better deal than buying a 24 of Moosehead at the Beerstore.

A 24 of Moosehead bottles at the Beerstore sells for $39.50. Each bottle holds 341 ml, so to make an apples to apples comparison we must calculate the unit price (cost per ml). Luckily, I have so much time on my hands I made this calculation for you.


From the above chart, it shows that the best deal are the tall cans on sale at the LCBO. In fact if you bought the same volume of beer that you get in a 24 by purchasing tall cans instead you would save $5.76. Futhermore, we can see that buying pitchers of beer at the bar costs almost 3 times more (average pitcher price of $17 without tip), which is a terrible deal.

So, buy tall cans on sale and be sure to predrink a bit if you're going out. Drink responsibly and keep on savin'!

Here's a great way to make your own inexpensive beer holder:

1 comment:

  1. Last minute shopping before the long weekend, and this is exactly what I was looking for.

    Thankings for such wisdom, brother!

    ReplyDelete